The European Heart Network (EHN) is a Brussels-based alliance of heart foundations and likeminded non-governmental organisations throughout Europe, with member organisations in 25 countries.
The EHN plays a leading role in the prevention and reduction of cardiovascular diseases, in particular heart disease and stroke, through advocacy, networking, capacity-building and patient support, so that they are no longer a major cause of premature death and disability throughout Europe.
Our vision is that:
Every European has a right to a life free from avoidable cardiovascular diseases
To achieve this vision, EHN dedicates itself to:
- influencing European policy makers in favour of a heart-healthy lifestyle;
- creating and nurturing ties between organisations concerned with heart health promotion and cardiovascular disease prevention;
- gathering and disseminating information relevant to heart health promotion and cardiovascular disease prevention;
- strengthening our membership capacity.
EHN works through Expert Groups on specific concerns, including:
- nutrition for a healthy heart
- tobacco policy and discouraging smoking;
- occupational health and psycho-social factors;
- physical activity as a natural part of daily life.
Through its membership of the World Heart Federation, EHN is also active in the creation of a wider international heart network whose aim is to advance the cause of cardiovascular health promotion world-wide.